Turn fluffy Rudolph mashed potatoes into a light lemony teatime treat.
For the cake
• 200g butter, softened
• 175g golden caster sugar
• 4 large eggs
• 200g ground almonds
• 250g mashed Rudolph potatoes* (2 medium sized potatoes)
• Zest 2 lemons and 2 oranges
• 2 tsp baking powder (use gluten free if required)
* If you have one, use a potato ricer to mash your potatoes; it will give a fantastically light and fine texture.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/160°F/Gas 4. Grease and line a deep 20cm round cake tin.
2. Cream the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy, then gradually add the egg, beating after each addition. Fold in the almonds, cold mashed potato, lemon and orange zest and baking powder.
3. Pour into the tin, level the top, then bake for 50-60 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Turn out onto a wire rack after 10 minutes of cooling. Take care as the cake will be quite soft. Place a plate under the wire rack. Garnish with extra zest.
Who would have thought that Rudolph potatoes were the perfect ingredient for a tasty cake?!