We love these mini shepherd’s pies and find that they always impress: from the kids through to the grannies! Give them a go and let us know what you think!
Individual shepherd’s pies served in their own potato skins.
• 1 tbsp butter (optional)
• 1-2 tbsp olive oil
• 2 small onions, finely chopped
• 400g lean minced Welsh lamb
• 500ml lamb stock
• 4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
• 4 tbsp tomato puree
• Few thyme springs chopped
• 2 garlic cloves crushed
• 4 Large Rudolph potatoes
• 4 tbsp of grated Mature Cheddar
• 2 tsp mixed herbs
1. Preheat the oven to 200 ̊C and bake the potatoes for around 50-60 minutes until cooked.
2. Sauté the onion and garlic in oil for 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add the mince and continue to fry for a further 5-10 minutes until the mince has browned, pour off excess fat.
3. Stir in the stock, Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree, thyme sprigs, mixed herbs and season.
4. Gently simmer for 20-30 minutes until the mince is tender and the sauce has thickened.
5. Cut the Rudolph potato lengthways and scoop out the flesh into a mixing bowl, leaving the skin intact.
6. Mash the scooped out potato and add the butter if using, season well.
7. Divide the mince between the potato skins, then cover with the mash.
8. Transfer the potatoes onto a suitable baking dish, sprinkle with cheese and bake in the preheated oven for around 20 minutes until bubbling and golden.
If you send us a photo of your mini Shepherd’s pie, we’ll send you a blas y tir apron in return!